Wednesday, December 15, 2004

The beauty that is Venice!

Our drive to Venice was very interesting…we went from snow covered areas in Austria/Germany in –5 degrees weather to Italy where it was like +15 degrees! That just goes to show you just how far the drive was! Anyways Venice is an absolutely captivating city to say the least! It is a shame that I was only to spend one day here…though it’s probably a good thing for my wallet! I went on another one of my wonderful shopping sprees here and I am very glad that I did hahaha. Venice is very famous for its glass and I bought a bunch of really cool little showpieces made of Murano glass (which is considered very high quality Venetian glass). Anyways I found that the best way to truly enjoy the aura of Venice was not to plan and visit only specific ‘tourist attractions’ but to stroll through the beautiful narrow (walking only!) streets through out the whole city, taking the water bus as needed. So I didn’t go to many of the main attractions close up, with the exception of Piazza de San Marco (which is the main attraction in Venice)…but instead I walked through a lot of the city pretty randomly and shopped around on the way. I did though visit some of Venice’s more famous cathedral/churches though and they were again absolutely captivating. So yeah that was pretty much the day. I was warned by many of how expense things are in Venice (including food!) but I was suckered into the surreal atmosphere of Venice and ended up spending more than I had hoped to. But again I have not regrets hahaha. Anyways tomorrow we head for Rome.

No comments: